Elections to the Council take place every four years, with the next elections being held in 2017. Seaton with Slingley Parish Council has 11 Councillors. If you care about local democracy and want to make a difference in your local area then become a Parish Councillor.
What does a Parish Council do?
- Represent the local community
- Deliver services within their powers to meet very local needs
- Work to improve quality of life in the parish
Who can stand as a Parish Councillor?
Anyone can stand as a candidate provided they meet the qualification requirements (see below).
Do I qualify to stand for election?
- Be aged over 18
- Be a British, Commonwealth Citizen or EU Citizen (who is a registered elector)
- Have been resident for 12 months prior to the day of the election – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
- Have occupied land or premises for 12 months as owner or tenant – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
- Have had a principal place of work – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
Am I excluded from standing?
You cannot become a Councillor if:
- You hold a paid office with the Council
- You are subject to a bankruptcy restrictions order or an interim order creates disqualificaion which dates from the judgement or execution and generally ends one year after the relevant order is made
- You have within five years before the election or since election been convicted in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man of any offence and been sentenced to not less than three months imprisonment (whether suspended or not) without the option of a fine (this disqualification begins when the ordinary period for making an appeal is finally dismissed or abandoned or fails to want for prosecution)
How do I stand?
The next election is due to take place in 2017. For Further information contact the Parish Clerk.
Where can I get more information?
For further information please view the Parish and Town Council Elections section of the Durham County Council website.